sendmail logs

Paul Howarth paul at city-fan.org
Fri Sep 24 14:07:35 UTC 2004

Carlo Orecchia wrote:
> this is my sendmail.mc
>
> divert(-1)dnl
> dnl #
> dnl # This is the sendmail macro config file for m4. If you make changes to
> dnl # /etc/mail/sendmail.mc, you will need to regenerate the
> dnl # /etc/mail/sendmail.cf file by confirming that the sendmail-cf
> package is
> dnl # installed and then performing a
> dnl #
> dnl #     m4 /etc/mail/sendmail.mc > /etc/mail/sendmail.cf
> dnl #     make -C /etc/mail
> dnl #
> include(`/usr/share/sendmail-cf/m4/cf.m4')dnl
> VERSIONID(`linux setup for numb.darktech.org')dnl
> OSTYPE(`linux')dnl
> DOMAIN(`generic')dnl

There's no need to include DOMAIN(`generic'); all it does is include the stuff
in /usr/share/sendmail-cf/domain/generic.m4. If there's anything in there that
you want, you might as well include it directly in your sendmail.mc file,
which is then clearer and easier to follow.

> define(`confLOG_LEVEL', `10')dnl
> define(`confTRY_NULL_MX_LIST',true)dnl

Shouldn't really need define(`confTRY_NULL_MX_LIST',true) either; it's only
needed if you're acting as an MX for some domain that you're not actually
hosting yourself and you haven't configured where mail for that domain should
be delivered to using a mailertable entry.

> define(`PROCMAIL_MAILER_PATH',`/usr/bin/procmail')dnl
> dnl define(`confUSERDB_SPEC', `/etc/mail/userdb.db')dnl
> define(`confPRIVACY_FLAGS',
> `authwarnings,goaway,novrfy,noexpn,restrictqrun')dnl
> define(`confDONT_PROBE_INTERFACES',true)dnl
> dnl define(`confAUTH_OPTIONS', `A')dnl
> dnl define(`confTO_IDENT', `0')dnl
> FEATURE(`smrsh',`/usr/sbin/smrsh')dnl
> FEATURE(`mailertable',`hash -o /etc/mail/mailertable.db')dnl
> FEATURE(`virtusertable',`hash -o /etc/mail/virtusertable.db')dnl
> FEATURE(`redirect')dnl
> FEATURE(`always_add_domain')dnl
> FEATURE(`relay_hosts_only')dnl
> FEATURE(`use_cw_file')dnl
> FEATURE(`local_procmail')dnl
> FEATURE(`access_db')dnl
> FEATURE(`blacklist_recipients')dnl
> dnl MASQUERADE_AS(`numb.darktech.org')dnl
> dnl FEATURE(`no_default_msa')dnl
> MAILER(`local')dnl
> MAILER(`smtp')dnl
> MAILER(`procmail')dnl
>
> thats it

That all looks OK too.

> in access i dont have any other relay entry.
>
> localhost.localdomain   RELAY
> localhost               RELAY
> 127.0.0.1               RELAY
> cyberspammer.com       550 We don't allow spam
> mindspring.com         550 We don't accept mail from you
> esqueeky.com           550 We don't accept mail from you
> big at numb.darktech.org  REJECT
> big@                   550 Mailbox disabled
> hushmail.com           550 We don't accept mail from you
> superonline.com        550 We don't accept mail from you
> teamblur.org           550 We don't accept mail from you
> pacbell.net            550 We don't accept mail from you
> newtel.com             REJECT
> rocketmail.com         REJECT
> smtpserver.com         REJECT
> visp.tiscali.fr        REJECT
> corporatekiller.com    REJECT
> pressroom.com          REJECT
> flevonet.nl            REJECT
> chartertn.net          REJECT
> pskov.su               REJECT
> att.net                REJECT
> bluecom.no             REJECT
>
> just this.

Nothing obviously wrong there that I can see.

Try commenting out the RELAY lines and adding this one instead:
Connect:127		RELAY

See if that helps.

You definitely don't have a file /etc/mail/relay-domains?

Also try putting a version number or date in the VERSIONID string in your
sendmail.mc file so that you can check that the sendmail.cf contains the same
version number or date and is hence built from the correct sendmail.mc file.
If changing sendmail.mc, don't forget to do a "service sendmail reload" after
rebuilding the sendmail.cf.

Paul.