nVidia Drivers

Rod Haper rhaper at houston.rr.com
Tue Sep 28 03:22:13 UTC 2004

Greg Trounson wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I had those symptoms once.  How's your free disk space on your root
> filesystem?
>
> Greg
>

> On Tue, 28 Sep 2004, Kiwi-Hawk wrote:
>

>>Hi
>>
>>I'm trying to do this at the moment too and I have beinging there is a
>>problem
>>with the rivafd module if thats being loaded (don't know where to kill it)
>>and
>>I now get the Nvidia logo and it dies (can't load default font "fixed".
>>This is if I start from startx if I run init 5 it recycles at the logo and I
>>can no NOT A THING,.. my boot log states that mdadpd (from memory I'm
>>writing this
>>from Windoz as I have no access to Linux at this point) fails to load at
>>boot time
>>
>>I don't know if any of this helps at all
>>
>>Cheers
>>Pete

I think Greg is on the right track here.  I also had this same problem a
couple of times after compiling a custom kernel which left too little
free disk space for the font server (xfs) to run.  After cleaning up the
disk ('make clean' on the source tree in my case) to make more free
space X started and ran just fine.  So make sure you have enough free
disk space and that xfs is running.