un-dual boot XP & FC2 - 2 harddrives

Alexander Dalloz alexander.dalloz at uni-bielefeld.de
Wed Sep 1 00:53:01 UTC 2004

Am Mi, den 01.09.2004 schrieb Jeff Vian um 2:37:

> He also will need to modify /boot/grub/device.map  and
> /boot/grub/grub.conf to point to the correct devices before he runs the
> grub-install.
>
> >From the description given device.map probably has mapping for hd0 and
> hd1.  The mapping for hd0 will need to point to the fc2 drive (/dev/hda)
> and remove the mapping for hd1.
>
> Then in grub.conf change everything that points to hd1 to point to hd0
> instead.

Yes! Important, and I did miss that point in my answer too.

Maybe partitions named in the /etc/fstab have to be changed too. Where
partitions labels are used all is fine. Entries pointing to /dev/hdb
have to be changed. All to be done in rescue mode from Fedora CD1.

Alexander

Fedora GNU/Linux Core 2 (Tettnang) kernel 2.6.8-1.521smp
Serendipity 02:50:07 up 2 days, 6 users, load average: 0.20, 0.20, 0.39