Installing/storing on a USB external drive

Nifty Hat Mitch mitch48 at sbcglobal.net
Wed Sep 1 05:29:25 UTC 2004

On Wed, Sep 01, 2004 at 09:59:47AM +0800, Edward wrote:
> Ken Wolman wrote:
>
> >Problem: I had been able to install "standard" Red Hat on a somewhat
> >aging Celeron with a 10GB hard drive to which I added a Maxtor 40GB USB
> >2.0 external drive.  Partition Magic "liked" the external, too.  It
> >seems that whatever I'm doing wrong, Fedora 2 will not recognize that
> >there is a USB 2.0 disk.
> >
> >I'd cleared about 125 MB on the original disk for /boot storage with the
> >intention of loaded the other material on the USB disk.  No such luck if
> >Fedora can't seem to find the drive.
> >
> >What am I not doing that I should be doing?
> >
> >Many thanks.
> >
> >Ken
>
> It probably HAS been seen but you haven't mounted it.
>
> Check your /var/log/messages when you attach the drive.
>
> By the way, a lot of this USB stuff has been covered repeatedly - the
> archives may also give you the info you need.

Make sure that you are running the current kernel
(you did not tell us what "uname -r; uname -a" returns.)

Tell us what "lsusb" returns.

A number of USB issues have been addressed post FC2 release -- pure stock
FC2 without updates had some issues.

--
	T o m  M i t c h e l l
	Just say no to 74LS73 in 2004