Dual Boot XP/FC2 Install Problem

Alexander Dalloz alexander.dalloz at uni-bielefeld.de
Wed Sep 1 10:25:29 UTC 2004

Am Mi, den 01.09.2004 schrieb Richard Heldmann um 9:40:

> I have changed the switch in the BIOS from on to off for IDE DRIVE UDMA on
> my Seagate 120 GB SATA drive.  When entering the CHS data on initial boot, I
> changed hda to sda:
> boot: linux sda 14589,255,63

I think it is a PATA hard drive and no SATA. It is /dev/hda then. If you
pass

linux sda=14589,255,63

it is just bogus and does nothing.

> I do not get an error, Fedora seems to think I have a scsi drive?  Is it ok
> to proceed?

If with your sda parameter setting the install process runs through you
can go on. The only pitfall can be that you are again hit by the dual
boot problem and XP will not boot. But you can say only later for sure.
If it is the case we will then fix it (either using rescue mode or your
Knoppix CD).

Alexander

Fedora GNU/Linux Core 2 (Tettnang) kernel 2.6.8-1.521smp
Serendipity 12:21:07 up 2 days, 9:37, load average: 0.13, 0.23, 0.11