yum-applet-gui non-functional

Listman fedora at linsolutions.com
Wed Sep 1 10:41:43 UTC 2004

On Wed, 2004-09-01 at 05:48, Paul Howarth wrote:
> Being a long-time user of autorpm (http://www.autorpm.org/), I thought I'd
> give the "official" update methods a try. So I installed yum, which seems to
> work OK, and also yum-applet, which is based on rhn-applet. However, the
> applet always shows the "checking for updates" icon and if I left-click on the
> applet, no window appears but a process "/usr/bin/python
> /usr/bin/yum-applet-gui" is started, and never exits. I see the same thing on
> two different machines, and the same thing with the original rhn-applet. Any
> thoughts on why this might be happening?
>
> Paul.

Try yum from the terminal first.
I had to import the gpg keys for the rpms on a recent install as well.
That may be your issue as well, but I don't use the gui for updates any
more.

As a rule, with any app, if the gui has an issue, try the cli as well.
If the app is well thought out, the terminal output should have some
good error information in it.

Ted