Hyper Threading on P4

John McBride jmcbride at ccis.com
Wed Sep 1 17:29:03 UTC 2004

Matthias Bauw wrote:

>hi,
>
>I was in fact wondering how to get the most out of my P4 3.0Ghz with
>Hyper Threading.

Watch out that the intel marketing monster doesn't kick you in the
shorts. You still have only one CPU. Turning virtual CPUs on in our dual
P4 boxes ("four"  CPUs) severely degraded the box performance. In many
cases all turning on virtual CPUs does is make linux, under certain
loads, to think "hey, I can shuffle things off to another CPU"--false in
this case (it's the same CPU)  and there is overhead to swapping
processes between CPUs, thus yielding "less than 0" performance increase.

---
John