SP2 vs MBR????

jdow jdow at earthlink.net
Wed Sep 1 21:06:25 UTC 2004

From: "Mark Haney" <mhaney at interactsys.com>
> On Wed, 2004-09-01 at 09:13, Jack Howarth wrote:
> >     Has anyone installed the Windows XP SP2 update on a dual boot
> > RedHat Linux/Windows XP box? Does the process of applying the SP2
> > update overwrite GRUB in the MBR?
>
> I have done it safely on many boxes.  It does not affect the MBR in any
> way that I can see.  You should be just fine.

On the other paw, I note that both IBM and UniSys have prohibited their
employees from installing SP2 on any of the corporate machines. It kills
several important applications by blocking their ability to communicate
or by blocking important functions they need.

I'd wait a few months before considering installing XP2. (I installed it
on a sacrificial machine. The chief problem involved getting the firewall
into a sane configuration. But as a sacrificial install it had no serious
applications installed. I'm holding off on the SP2 install myself. My
machines MUST operate properly or my source of income is killed. <sigh>

(At least I now have decent Linux credentials. I got a kernel patch
accepted. {^_-})

{^_^}   Joanne