Dead and silent Mozilla

netmask netmask at enZotech.net
Wed Sep 1 23:42:10 UTC 2004

> Pages, and pages, and pages of stuff. However, no longer necessary to
> send it. Apparently I was trying to install a Java VM plugin a few days
> ago, and I was sleepy and tired, and it not only didn't work but also
> broke Mozilla in the process.

This one should be an easy one.. download the right version of java for you,
and

ln -s /usr/java/j2re1.4.2_03/plugin/i386/ns610-gcc32/libjavaplugin_oji.so /usr/local/mozilla/plugins/

ensure you select the right mozilla/plugins  dir and the right j2re directory.

You want to use the ns610-gcc32  for current versions of mozilla via rpm, or
current compiled versions.. There is a different when using gcc 3.2 and newer.

> Now, back to installing that blasted Java VM plugin. Clearly plugins are
> one area where either I'm clueless, or there's a great deal of
> improvement to be made.

They are fairly cut and dry for the copying or linking.. but on that same
page, Plugins need to be easier for mozilla/firefox in general.. especially
for the win32 users. Having to re-install them most of the time (Some plugins
require to be installed system wide) when you upgrade isn't acceptable.

--
netmask