Problem playing DVD's

Bill Tetens zuki269 at netscape.net
Thu Sep 2 01:07:47 UTC 2004

james at westexe.demon.co.uk wrote:
> clint at penguinsolutions.org recommended:
>
>># yum install libdvd* libmad* totem*
>

> Bill Tetens replied:
>
>>I tried another Yum update and it told me that those three items were
>>not available so I assure they are installed.
>

> No, not available means not available.
>
> If a package doesn't exist in any repositories yum knows about, you get
> something like this:
> [root at howells root]# yum install a-non-existant-package
> Gathering header information file(s) from server(s)
> Server: Fedora Core 2 - i386 - Base
> Server: Fedora Extras
> Server: Fedora Extras (non-US)
> Server: Fedora Core 2 - i386 - Released Updates
> Finding updated packages
> Downloading needed headers
> Cannot find a package matching a-non-existant-package
> No actions to take
>
> If it's installed, you get something like this:
> [root at howells root]# yum install glibc
> Gathering header information file(s) from server(s)
> Server: Fedora Core 2 - i386 - Base
> Server: Fedora Extras
> Server: Fedora Extras (non-US)
> Server: Fedora Core 2 - i386 - Released Updates
> Finding updated packages
> Downloading needed headers
> glibc is installed and is the latest version.
> No actions to take
>
> Make sure that you have suitable repositories in your /etc/yum.conf
> file: at least fedora.us and rpm.livna.org.
>
> Look at http://fedorafaq.org/#FedoraYumRepos for more details, or ask
> here.
>
> HTH,
>
> James.

Below is the text I get when I try to install libdvd* libmad* totem*.
The first time I got a lot of dowloading and installing and as far as I
could tell everything was downloaded.

[root at workgroup root]# yum install libdvd* libmad*
totem*
Server: Fedora Core 2 - i386 - Base
Server: Dag APT Repository
retrygrab() failed for:

http://dag.atrpms.net/fedora/2/en/i386/dag/headers/header.info
   Executing failover method
Server: Fedora Core 2 - i386 - Released Updates
Finding updated packages
Downloading needed headers
Cannot find a package matching libdvd*
Cannot find a package matching libmad*
Cannot find a package matching totem*
No actions to take

the http://dag.atrpma.net etc above I have no idea what it is. Below is
the alternative repositories that I got off a site that had a file
stating it is a yum.conf for fedora core.  It lists the complete file
for a yum.core and also included the DAG file that I used and is shown
below.

[dag]
name=Dag APT Repository
baseurl=http://dag.freshrpms.net/fedora/$releasever/en/$basearch/dag

http://dag.atrpms.net/fedora/$releasever/en/$basearch/dag

http://ftp.heanet.ie/pub/freshrpms/pub/dag/fedora/$releasever/en/$basearch/dag

I just noticed that I did not add one line below the above DAG file as
follows:

##gpgcheck=1

Don't know is that is necessary or not since I don't know what it means.
  Hope what I have supplied is helpful.