Problem playing DVD's

Scott Talbot talbotscott at cox.net
Thu Sep 2 06:50:59 UTC 2004

On Wed, 2004-09-01 at 18:07, Bill Tetens wrote:
> james at westexe.demon.co.uk wrote:
> > clint at penguinsolutions.org recommended:
> >
> >># yum install libdvd* libmad* totem*
> >

> > Bill Tetens replied:
> >
> >>I tried another Yum update and it told me that those three items were
> >>not available so I assure they are installed.
> >

> > No, not available means not available.
> >
> > If a package doesn't exist in any repositories yum knows about, you get
> > something like this:
> > [root at howells root]# yum install a-non-existant-package
> > Gathering header information file(s) from server(s)
> > Server: Fedora Core 2 - i386 - Base
> > Server: Fedora Extras
> > Server: Fedora Extras (non-US)
> > Server: Fedora Core 2 - i386 - Released Updates
> > Finding updated packages
> > Downloading needed headers
> > Cannot find a package matching a-non-existant-package
> > No actions to take
> >
> > If it's installed, you get something like this:
> > [root at howells root]# yum install glibc
> > Gathering header information file(s) from server(s)
> > Server: Fedora Core 2 - i386 - Base
> > Server: Fedora Extras
> > Server: Fedora Extras (non-US)
> > Server: Fedora Core 2 - i386 - Released Updates
> > Finding updated packages
> > Downloading needed headers
> > glibc is installed and is the latest version.
> > No actions to take
> >
> > Make sure that you have suitable repositories in your /etc/yum.conf
> > file: at least fedora.us and rpm.livna.org.
> >
> > Look at http://fedorafaq.org/#FedoraYumRepos for more details, or ask
> > here.
> >
> > HTH,
> >
> > James.
> >

> Below is the text I get when I try to install libdvd* libmad* totem*.
> The first time I got a lot of dowloading and installing and as far as I
> could tell everything was downloaded.
>
> [root at workgroup root]# yum install libdvd* libmad*
> totem*
> Gathering header information file(s) from server(s)
> Server: Fedora Core 2 - i386 - Base
> Server: Dag APT Repository
> retrygrab() failed for:
>
> http://dag.atrpms.net/fedora/2/en/i386/dag/headers/header.info
>    Executing failover method
> Server: Fedora Core 2 - i386 - Released Updates
> Finding updated packages
> Downloading needed headers
> Cannot find a package matching libdvd*
> Cannot find a package matching libmad*
> Cannot find a package matching totem*
> No actions to take
>
> the http://dag.atrpma.net etc above I have no idea what it is. Below is
> the alternative repositories that I got off a site that had a file
> stating it is a yum.conf for fedora core.  It lists the complete file
> for a yum.core and also included the DAG file that I used and is shown
> below.
>
> [dag]
> name=Dag APT Repository
> baseurl=http://dag.freshrpms.net/fedora/$releasever/en/$basearch/dag
>
> http://dag.atrpms.net/fedora/$releasever/en/$basearch/dag

> [...]

gpgcheck=1 tells rpm to check the rpm for a gpg generated signature (the
# as always makes the line a remark), for security this is a good idea.
Unfortunately, too few rpms are signed, which means that yum fails. rhn
handles this a little better, asking if I want to continue

point your browser to rpm.livna.org and add the livna repos to your
yum.conf (instructions are on that page) you'll find you can download
most of those rpms now! though  I couldn't find the libmad there right
now (I downloaded it just yesterday though so ???)

HTH Scott
--
If in doubt, VOTE 'EM OUT!