Returning to FAT32, Intel Celeron Processor

Alexander Apprich a.apprich at science-computing.de
Thu Sep 2 07:39:34 UTC 2004

Maria,

Maria Ferrer wrote:
> Hello. This is my first time on the board, so i apologize if I posted
> wrong.

Welcome! :-)

> System specs:
>
> Intel Celeron Processor @ 900Mhz
> 256 MB of SDRAM
> 20GB Samsumg HD
>
> My question was
>
> 1.How do I format my hard drive to fat32 again after I install (or begin
> installing) Linux? I tried using MS-DOS and it says that it is not
> eligable to get formatted. Is there any free utility that I can use?
> What is the website to it?

You can use MS-DOS if you want to. Why MS-DOS was unable to format
was/is probably the fact that the partition isn't a fat32 partition.

1. Boot of your MS-DOS floppy disk
2. Choose "Delete Partition" (I guess it's the third entry)
3. Choose "Delete other Partition (I guess it's the fourth entry)
4. Choose the partition to delete
5. Confirm what you have choosen
6. Create a new MS-DOS Partition (First entry in menu)
7. Create a new primary Partition (First entry in menu)
8. Set the partition you've created as active (Second entry in main
    menu if I remember correctly)
9. Back on the MS-DOS prompt type

      fdisk /mbr

    to overwrite the Master-Boot-Record

10. reboot your sytem and format the partition you've created

> 2. Is my Intel Celeron Processor compatible with Linux?

Yep, (allmost) any Intel/AMD cpu is Linux compatible.

> Thank you for listening. Your responses will be greatly appreciated.

Hope this helps.

Alex