1 WinXP - 2 seats

Michael stuff at dustsmoke.com
Thu Sep 2 22:07:28 UTC 2004

> Hi folks.
>
> I've got a user who uses WinXP at his desk.  He now has to use two
> desks, 10 feet apart, but still needs to use the one XP box.
>
> What I've thought of was to do a minimal X install, and then have
> instead of the KDE WM, have X fire straight into a vncviewer.
>
> Would this work, and what files to I need to change to get this to work?
>
> Am I right in thinking that without a WM to get in the way, vncviewer
> would run full-screen and key-sequences like alt-tab would be seen by
> vncviewer instead of being caught by the wm?
> --
> Gary Stainburn

use rdesktop/RDP, it only responds locally to cntrl-alt-enter and a magic
pixel depending on how you compile it. Everything else like cntrl alt
delete goes to the remote machine. Plus it is a lot faster/prettier than
vnc with compression, and more reliable/faster than things like
citrix.(just without some of the functionality of things like citrix)

I set something like this up with solaris and sun rays. But for a few
hundred clients to a 2k3 terminal server.

Fedora has a package, but http://rdesktop.sf.net is the site.

-Mike