Dumb Question: Installing new version of Kopete

Andrey Andreev andreev at cs.helsinki.fi
Fri Sep 3 01:52:22 UTC 2004

James Wilkinson wrote:
> Andrey Andreev wrote:
>
>>BTW, maybe I shall mention that modern Linux does not have a directory
>>organization similiar to Windows's "Program Files". Our binaries usually
>>go in /usr/bin, our libraries in /usr/lib, our configuration files in
>>/etc, etc.. We tend to use some packaging system (RPM for Fedora, and
>>many others) to keep track of what goes where, and do the management
>>(uninstalls, upgrades, etc).
>>
>>Look at
>>
>>http://www.tldp.org/LDP/Linux-Filesystem-Hierarchy/html/index.html
>>
>>and look at some RPM documentation. to get a clearer idea of how it works.
>

> Well, there have been variations on the theme, but that must predate
> Linux by at least ten years...

I agree, but there has been abuse of /usr/local by distros in the past,
and we've been seeing less and less of it recently, which is what I
referred to when I said "modern".

> Note that there are similar trees under /usr/local (e.g. /usr/local/bin
> instead of /usr/bin). It's been recommended since RPMs were new that if
> you're compiling from source (without using rpmbuild and / or rpm), you
> should configure the program to put files there, rather than in /usr/bin
> or wherever. This keeps them out the way of the RPM-installed files, and
> makes it that much easier to clean them out later.

Sure, but I'd point out that the OP's files are likely to end up in
/usr, rather than /usr/local. Otherwise, this is wise advice to people
writing makefiles.

> Many people find it easier in the long run to build RPMs.

//Andro