konqueror problem - Can't talk to klauncher

Clint Harshaw clint at penguinsolutions.org
Fri Sep 3 10:40:51 UTC 2004

Clint Harshaw wrote:
> Fully updated FC2 system.
>
> When I attempt to start Konqueror from the menu, nothing happens. When I
> start Konqueror from the command line, I get the following error:
>

> An error occurred while loading file:/usr/share/doc/HTML/index.html:
> Could not start process Can't talk to klauncher
>

> Any ideas about what is going on?
>
> I run a full update nightly, but otherwise have not tinkered with any
> files. Things worked fine as late as yesterday.
>
> Clint

I started klauncher from the command line and got this response:

[charshaw at simba charshaw]$ klauncher
klauncher: This program is not supposed to be started manually.
klauncher: It is started automatically by kdeinit.

Then I tried running kdeinit from the command line:

[charshaw at simba charshaw]$ kdeinit
---------------------------------
It looks like dcopserver is already running. If you are sure
that it is not already running, remove
/home/charshaw/.DCOPserver_simba.penguinsolutions.org__0
and start dcopserver again.

kbuildsycoca running...

Now my Konqueror is running -- but I would still like to learn what
happened and why (and if this is going to be a recurring problem)?

Thanks,
Clint