Sound Question

Michael Schwendt fedora at wir-sind-cool.org
Sat Sep 4 13:02:08 UTC 2004

On Thu, 2 Sep 2004 20:54:55 -0400, Greg Lobring wrote:

> If I open up Firefox and go to www.seinfeld.com, the flash page loads,
> and I can hear the sound crisp and clear.
>
> If I put a music CD into my computer, the default player opens up (CD
> Player), the CD starts playing, but I can't hear a thing.

Many CD playing software needs an audio cable between the CD drive and the
soundcard. One that doesn't is XMMS' CD Plug-in, see Preferences in XMMS
and configure it to read the CDs digitally instead of analogue. If that
doesn't fix it and you do have a cable installed, open your audio mixer
and search for a mixer channel which is still "mute", e.g. AUX or LINE-IN
or anything that might be wired with your CD drive. But playing Audio CDs
digitally should work with recent CD drives.

> I opened up Rhythembox 0.8.3, extract a track, and try to play it, and
> it crashes the program.

Run it from an X terminal, save the output or Core dump and submit
a bug report.

--
Fedora Core release 1 (Yarrow) - Linux 2.4.22-1.2199.nptl
loadavg: 0.17 0.21 0.16