SSH without password

Allen Winter winterz at verizon.net
Sat Sep 4 19:42:27 UTC 2004

On Saturday 04 September 2004 03:35 pm, Michael Sullivan wrote:
> I've got two computers, a server and a client.  The server doesn't have
> a monitor hooked up to it, so I always access it from the client through
> SSH.  I want to be able to ssh over to the server from the client PC
> without having to type in my password every time.  I scp'd my
> ~/.ssh/known_hosts file over to the server, but it still asks me for my
> password every time I log in over there (which is quite often
> actually.)  What else do I have to do to avoid having to enter my
> password every time?
> -Michael Sullivan-

My SSH install notes.  YMMV.  Good luck

   Do the following on all your machines so you can go back and forth as needed.

      Install RPMs openssh-server and openssh-clients
      Add the following line to /etc/hosts.allow
          sshd 192.168.0.0/255.255.255.0    (using your network of course)
      Create the file /et/ssh/shosts.equiv as follows (using your hostnames of course)
             hostname1
      hostname1.domain
             hostname2
             hostname2.domain
            etc. etc.
      % chmod 644 /etc/ssh/shosts.equiv
      Make sure the file /etc/ssh/sshd_config contains the following line:
          HostbasedAuthentication yes
      % chmod 600 /etc/ssh/sshd_config
      Restart sshd by running '/etc/init.d/sshd restart'
      Make sure the file /etc/ssh/ssh_config contains the following lines:
          Host *
            ForwardX11 yes
            HostbasedAuthentication yes
            EnableSSHKeysign yes
      % chmod 644 /etc/ssh/ssh_config
      Create /etc/ssh/ssh_known_hosts with the RSA public keys from
        /etc/ssh/ssh_host_rsa_key.pub on all machines
      % chmod 644 /etc/ssh/ssh_known_hosts
      Remove rsh RPM
      Create symlinks:
          /usr/bin/rsh->ssh, /usr/bin/rcp->scp, /usr/bin/rlogin->slogin
      Make sure firewall is open (port 22)