SSH without password

Mike Burger mburger at bubbanfriends.org
Sun Sep 5 11:49:51 UTC 2004

On Sat, 4 Sep 2004, Michael Sullivan wrote:

> I've got two computers, a server and a client.  The server doesn't have
> a monitor hooked up to it, so I always access it from the client through
> SSH.  I want to be able to ssh over to the server from the client PC
> without having to type in my password every time.  I scp'd my
> ~/.ssh/known_hosts file over to the server, but it still asks me for my
> password every time I log in over there (which is quite often
> actually.)  What else do I have to do to avoid having to enter my
> password every time?

What you really wanted to do was to scp your rsa_id.pub over to the
server, and then put the contents of that file into ~/.ssh/authorized_keys
(or authorized_keys2, depending on the contents of your
/etc/ssh/sshd_config).

Also, your authorized_keys file should be chmod 600, or 700 at most.

--
Mike Burger
http://www.bubbanfriends.org

Visit the Dog Pound II BBS

To be notified of updates to the web site, visit