[SOLVED] kernel linux-2.6.8-1.521 locks when leaving X11

Andre Costa acosta at ar.microlink.com.br
Sun Sep 5 12:46:52 UTC 2004

On Wed, 1 Sep 2004 20:04:52 -0300
Andre Costa <acosta at ar.microlink.com.br> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I upgraded kernel to 2.6.8-1.521 recently, and system has been locking
> hard when I leave my X session and return to GDM. I use a
> custom-compiled kernel, where I only turn off unneeded stuff such as
> firewire, RAID support etc. and enable NTFS filesystem, but problem
> happens with "stock" kernel as well.
>
> I just rebooted to the previous kernel (2.6.7-1.494.2.2custom) and
> things seem to have gone back to normal. Problems happened both with
> latest NVidia driver (1.0-6111) and the one before that (1.0-6106).
>
> Anyone else experiencing this?
>
> Best,
>
> Andre

Hi,

just so that it makes it into the archives: I found out why my custom
kernel was locking _everytime_ I left X.

My machine has 512MB, so I was turning off "4 GB kernel-space and 4 GB
user-space virtual memory support (X86_4G)" and "High Memory Support".
This automatically turned off "Allocate 3rd-level pagetables from
highmem (HIGHPTE)", which seems to be needed for some reason (yes, IMHO
this is _very_ obscure and should be documented somewhere by nvidia
folks -- I will post a message on their forums about it).

Once I left these 3 options untouched, I was able to do all the
tweakings I needed, and now I am happily running my own 2.6.8-1.521
kernel.

Thks to all who replied.

Best,

Andre

PS: I am not using any nvidia drivers aside from graphics now.

--
Andre Oliveira da Costa