Network device on IRQ 10 after kernel recompile

Alexander Dalloz alexander.dalloz at uni-bielefeld.de
Sun Sep 5 13:43:36 UTC 2004

Am So, den 05.09.2004 schrieb Juan L. Pastor um 8:01:

> I have an Abit NF7-S motherboard with the network device built in on the
> board. It was detected during the Fedora core 2 installation (forcedeth
> driver) as you can check in the log below:

> Unfortunately when I recompiled the kernel (2.6.6-1.435.2.3), the system
> is unable to bring up interface eth0. It disables IRQ 10, which
> according to the HW detection is shared by USB 2.0 EHCI controller and
> the network controller. This is the log for this kernel:

What did you change with the kernel recompile?

> It seems clear to me that this time, something is wrong with IRQ10, used
> by the network controller, and then this IRQ is disabled... so no
> network.
>
> If I play a little bit with the BIOS setup, PnP/PCI configurations, the
> resources are controlled by Auto (ESCD) by default. If I change this
> setting to Manual and I assign IRQ-10 to Reserved instead of PCI Device,
> then the network controller uses IRQ-12 and USB 2.0 controller switches
> to IRQ-5. This time it's the IRQ-5 which is disabled on Fedora and I
> have no problems related to the network.

You preserved the IRQ 10 for non-PCI, so it is not used. Be sure your
BIOS is set to "PnP OS = no".

> I guess I'm missing some option when I recompiled the kernel. Any
> suggestion?

Do a diff between the Fedora kernel config and yours to see what you
mangled.

Maybe play with kernel boot parameters like "acpi=off apm=on".

> Juan

Alexander

Fedora GNU/Linux Core 2 (Tettnang) kernel 2.6.8-1.521smp
Serendipity 15:40:20 up 6 days, 12:57, load average: 0.03, 0.19, 0.23