Verizon DSL

Mike Burger mburger at bubbanfriends.org
Sun Sep 5 18:34:02 UTC 2004

On Sun, 5 Sep 2004, Austin Isler wrote:

> Mike Burger wrote:
>
> |On Fri, 3 Sep 2004, Joseph Gumbosky wrote:
> |
> |> Hi,
> |>
> |>Last night, I installed Fedora CORE 2 over my Xandros2 partition.
> (I was
> |>dual booting Xandros and XP.)  The installation went flawlessly.  It
> |>recognized the Xandros partition as Linux and gave me the option of
> |>overwriting only that part of the disk.  I can now boot into Fedora
> or XP.
> |>No problems.  Nice job!
> |>
> |>Now, I'm a bit spoiled with Xandros.  But, Fedora seems quite usable to
> |>me...with just one issue.
> |>
> |>I cannot access the internet.  I use Verizon's DSL service connected
> through
> |>the Ethernet port.  When I use the connection wizard, it detects
> |>"eth0(RTL-8139/8139C/8139C+)."  Then I get a message, "Cannot activate
> |>network device VerizonDSL!"
> |>
> |>However, when I log out and shut down, part of the dialog on the
> screen is
> |>as follows:
> |>
> |>Shutting down VerizonDSL........OK
> |>
> |>Shutting down VerizonDSL........FAILED
> |>
> |>I know that Verizon does not support Linux.  Is there some way of
> getting
> |>access to the net with Fedora?
> |

> |You'll need a PPPoE client.  Check out Roaring Penguin.
>
> Verizon DSL does not require a login. So the roaring penguin software
> is useless.

Since when?  My brother's Verizon DSL connection requires PPPoE
authentication, as do the 9 or 10 other connections I helped set up,
before I moved out of Verizon-land.

> If you have a router, make sure your pc points to the routers IP as
> the Primary DNS and then enter into the DNS search path: dsl-verizon.net

The router might also need the authentication information.

However, let's find out for sure.  Joseph...did you receive a user name
and password that you were supposed to use with your DSL connection?
--
Mike Burger
http://www.bubbanfriends.org

Visit the Dog Pound II BBS

To be notified of updates to the web site, visit