Off-topic Onstream ADR30 tape problem

Paul R. Ganci ganci at nurdog.com
Mon Sep 6 02:03:17 UTC 2004

I have a very strange problem which I am hoping maybe someone else with
an Onstream ADR50 SCSI drive may have run into and can help me. I
purchased 12 ADR30 cartridges off Ebay. 6 of the 12 cartridges plus 8 of
my own work just fine in the drive. The other 6 of 12 give me I/O errors
as if they are wrtite-protected. For example the command sequence:

 > mt -f /dev/nst0 rewind
 >mt -f /dev/nst0 weof
/dev/nst0: Input/output error
mt: The tape is write-protected.

The log file shows the following entries in response to the "weof"
command above:

Sep  5 19:56:18 nureyev kernel: st0: Error with sense data: Current
st09:00: sense key Data Protect
Sep  5 19:56:18 nureyev kernel: Additional sense indicates Cannot write
medium - incompatible format

Now before you all shout at me ... yes I checked the little tab ... the
tapes are not physically write-protected! It is as if there was
something recorded on these tapes which have "software write-protected"
them. I have tried to erase them to now avail.  I always seem to get the
message in the log file you see above. Has anyone else ever seen
anything like this problem? I know it is the tape because I have 14
others that work fine. Also I can't believe that 6 out of 12 tapes are
bad ... I really think there is something on them that is preventing me
from writing to them. If I could turn that off then I think the tapes
will work fine.

Thanks for any help on this strange question.

--
Paul (ganci at nurdog.com)