kernel probs with IRQ sharing, Madwifi and non-existing floppy drive

Edward edward at tripled.iinet.net.au
Mon Sep 6 02:28:09 UTC 2004

Peter wrote:

> I use an IBM Thinkpad T40p (centrino chip) and an internal atheros WiFi
> pci card with kernel 2.6.7-1.494.2.2 and atrpms Madwifi driver
> kernel-module-madwifi-2.6.7-1.494.2.2-0.8.5.5-7.rhfc2.at

Peter, I can't help you, but being a GID, I must correct your terminology.

"Centrino" is not a chip. It is a combination of a Pentium M Processor
(including the new Dothan), one of the Intel Centrino Mobile chipsets on
the mainboard, and an Intel Wireless LAN card.

A notebook cannot be legally marked as a Centrino unless all three are
in place. That's right - the Centrino brand MUST have an Intel Wireless
LAN card built in to the notebook (that's the only way the Intel cards
come anyway).

Anything else is NOT Centrino.

Regards,
Ed.