Xorg freezes, crashes, locks, shoots and leaves

Gene Smith gds at chartertn.net
Mon Sep 6 03:36:36 UTC 2004

Maybe there is something wrong with my computer, I don't know, but it
passes the overnight test of memtest86 from the fc 2 cd and fsck.

The problem is that X seems to just freeze up at random times. Sometimes
it goes for days with no problem. Sometimes it is twice in one day, like
today. It also seems to be more frequent (possibly) with the latest
kernel 2.6.8-1.521 (and I have kept completely updated with yum).

My driver is the default nvidia for a GeForce3 Ti 200 card and system is
500Mhz Athlon with 384M memory. It has run other linux systems for years
with no problem, e.g., RH 7.2, Debian.

By "freeze" I mean the keyboard and mouses button do nothing, only the
mouse cursor moves. The system does not really crash. The freeze is
never associated with doing any particular thing, AFAICT.

I can go run vncviewer from another box and it comes up and works fine.
After "killall -9 X" I can then login again and it goes again. I have
seen this with KDE and GNOME (but I typically just run KDE).

I have been having this problem during fc2 test and after clean install
of fc2. See my previous message on this list, Subject "X lock / crash +
slowdowns - fc2" and possibly others where I have mentioned this.

I have no screen saver active.

Any idea what could be causing this or how I can troubleshoot it? Or is
it a continuing bug in fc2 or Xorg?

Tks,
-gene