Install Fedora Core 2

Ronald ronaldjbich at comcast.net
Mon Sep 6 05:28:58 UTC 2004

Hi All,

my name is Ron and I am pretty new to the LINUX world.   I have worked on
UNIX but have never done any administration work and over the past year have
begun working with LINUX and am trying to learn about the administration so
I can maintain a copy of the OS on my PC at home.    Eventually I plan on
having Oracle insalled too, as that is my primary field of expertise.

I have RedHat 9 installed on an older PIII and it appears to run just fine
and did have RedHat AS 2.1 on my main PC, never could get my HP print driver
installed, and have uninstalled that in favor of working with Fedora.   I
have downloaded Fedora Core 2 to install however I am unable to get the
install disks to work and would love to have some insight on how to get this
installed.   I did go through and look at the archives for Sept, I know Sept
just started however I believe this has to be something really simple and
was hoping someone could point me to an archive thread with the solution or
provide the solution for me.   The details for my system are below along
with the home dir of my first Fedora CD and the message I am getting.

Dell 1.2 P IIII Precision 330
1 gig RAM
120 gig HD, OS Windows 2000
80 gig HD, OS <hopefully LINUX>
When I try to boot from the 1st CD I downloaded nothing happens, this is the
home dir of this CD from a Windows listing:
Name                                                Type
SRPMS                                            File Folder
.discinfo                                            DISCINFO File
eula.txt                                             Text Document
GPL                                                 File
RPM-GPG_KEY                                File
RPM-GPG-KEY-beta                         File
RPM-GPG-KEY-fedora                       File
RPM-GPG-KEY-fedora-rawhide           File
RPM-GPG-KEY-fedora-test                File
RPM-GPG-KEY-rawhide                    File
TRANS.TBL                                      TBL File

Since the first disc does not appear to be a bootable cd I have created the
restore and boot cd's to boot up RecHat.    However when I reboot with
either CD I get to the installation window asking for the Fedora Core CD and
get the following message:
"The Fedora Core CD was not found in any of your CDROM drives.  Please
insert the Fedora Core CD and press OK to retry."

I have tried putting in all 4 of my RedHat CD's to no avail, and have even
tried leaving my boot and restore CD's in the drive without any luck either.
I have even tried updating the tbl file to include the directory/path to
point to the CD in the drive which didn't work either.    As I am new to
LINUX administration any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Ron