Replies as attachments on this list...

Sam Varshavchik mrsam at courier-mta.com
Mon Sep 6 15:04:28 UTC 2004

Paul Howarth writes:

> Andrea Giuliano wrote:
>> I'm using Mozilla 1.7.2, and I don't see GPG signatures in most of the
>> posts I checked. For instance, all posts from Alexander Dalloz don't
>> appear to have a GPG signature. I've also look at the full source of the
>> messages, but I couldn't find a signature.
>>
>> Let's take an actual example: look at the only one "Re: Changing Console
>> Resolution!" by Alexander and the only one "Re: How do I Maintain hard
>> disk healthI" by fredex.
>
> Here's the raw message for that posting as it arrived at my server:

This is mailman's thing.  When it sees multipart/signed content (a
GPG-signed message) it knows that, if it slapped on the usual fedora mailing
list signature at the end, nobody would see it since it follows the
terminating delimiter of the multipart/signed MIME section, which gets
discarded as junk.

Therefore, it takes the whole thing and shoves it inside a multipart/mixed
section, with the first part being the payload in the original message, and
the second part being the fedora mailing list signature.

I do not see anything that's technically wrong here.  The resulting message
is a valid MIME message, and properly-implemented MIME mail clients will
display everything correctly.  The only ones who will have a problem are
users of Microsoft's virus distribution system, which gets stumped by the
multipart/signed MIME content type and barfs all over itself.