Fedora Core 2 uninstallable on my machine

Scott Talbot talbotscott at cox.net
Mon Sep 6 15:31:34 UTC 2004

On Mon, 2004-09-06 at 08:18 +0200, Jeffrey Mutonho wrote:
> Hi guys.
> I've been battling with installing FC2 on my machine.My installation
> keeps failing with a message saying "Install exited abnormally..." and
> then a message for me to reboot the machine.I've googled and stumbled
> upon a post (at
> http://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-list/2004-May/msg05225.html)with
> the same problem and the response seemed to suggest that it was a
> hardware issue.FC1 installs without a problem.I've used the same CDs
> on another work machine and had no problems at all.
>
> There's a summary of my machine:
>
> Processor
> Model : AMD Athlon(tm) XP 2000+
> Speed : 1.66GHz
> Model Number : 2000 (estimated)
> Performance Rating : PR2407 (estimated)
> Type : Standard
> L2 On-board Cache : 256kB ECC Synchronous Write-Back (16-way, 64 byte line size)
>
> Mainboard
> Bus(es) : ISA AGP PCI USB i2c/SMBus
> MP Support : No
> MP APIC : No
> System BIOS : Phoenix Technologies, LTD 6.00 PG
> Mainboard : nVidia-nForce2
> Total Memory : 1023MB DDR-SDRAM
>
> Chipset 1
> Model : Nvidia Corp nForce2 AGP Controller
> Front Side Bus Speed : 2x 133MHz (266MHz data rate)
> Total Memory : 1024MB DDR-SDRAM
> Memory Bus Speed : 2x 199MHz (398MHz data rate)
>
> Video System
> Monitor/Panel : MAG XJ810
> Adapter : WinFast(R) Titanium 200 Display Adapter
>
> Physical Storage Devices
> Removable Drive : Floppy disk drive
> Hard Disk : MAXTOR 6L040J2 (37.3GB)
> Hard Disk : Maxtor 6Y080L0 (76.3GB)
> CD-ROM/DVD : DVDRW IDE1108 (CD 40X Rd, 40X Wr) (DVD 5X Rd, 5X Wr)
> CD-ROM/DVD : SAMSUNG CD-R/RW SW-240B (CD 40X Rd, 40X Wr)
>
> Logical Storage Devices
> 1.44MB 3.5" (A:) : N/A
> Hard Disk (C:) : 39.1GB (20.4GB, 52% Free) (NTFS)
> Hard Disk (D:) : 19.7GB (13.1GB, 66% Free) (NTFS)
> Hard Disk (E:) : 17.6GB (11.9GB, 68% Free) (NTFS)
> Clearworkdisk (F:) : 556MB (0MB, 0% Free) (CDFS)
> Tomcat (G:) : 88MB (0MB, 0% Free) (CDFS)
>
> Peripherals
> Serial/Parallel Port(s) : 2 COM / 1 LPT
> USB Controller/Hub : Standard OpenHCD USB Host Controller
> USB Controller/Hub : Standard OpenHCD USB Host Controller
> USB Controller/Hub : Standard Enhanced PCI to USB Host Controller
> USB Controller/Hub : USB Root Hub
> USB Controller/Hub : USB Root Hub
> USB Controller/Hub : USB Root Hub
> Keyboard : Standard 101/102-Key or Microsoft Natural PS/2 Keyboard
> Mouse : PS/2 Compatible Mouse
>
> MultiMedia Device(s)
> Device : MPU-401 Compatible MIDI Device
> Device : Standard Game Port
> Device : Realtek AC'97 Audio
>
> Communication Device(s)
> Device : PCI Simple Communications Controller
>

> Power Management
> AC Line Status : On-Line
>
> Network Services
> Network Drivers Enabled : No

> [...]

	First, I am sorry that I am not the genius to solve this problem, but
to help a little, please repost this as a new message and not a response
in the thread of "Shadow and password , can you help me ?" Who knows,
maybe everyone reading that thread is now ignoring it?

	Second, although you did a great job detailing your machine specs,
perhaps you could give a little more on what you have tried. So far all
I can tell is that you have stuck the disks in your box and hit reset.
Have you attempted text mode installs? Maybe that will give more
information as to the problem.  The nodma option for install often helps
cases where certain hardware interferes with Anaconda's install, and I
am sure that someone here will recognize a case with all the information
you have sent.

HTH

Scott
--