Xorg freezes, crashes, locks, shoots and leaves

James Wilkinson james at westexe.demon.co.uk
Mon Sep 6 16:46:23 UTC 2004

Gene Smith wrote:
> The problem is that X seems to just freeze up at random times. Sometimes
> it goes for days with no problem. Sometimes it is twice in one day, like
> today. It also seems to be more frequent (possibly) with the latest
> kernel 2.6.8-1.521 (and I have kept completely updated with yum).
>
> My driver is the default nvidia for a GeForce3 Ti 200 card and system is
> 500Mhz Athlon with 384M memory. It has run other linux systems for years
> with no problem, e.g., RH 7.2, Debian.
>
> By "freeze" I mean the keyboard and mouses button do nothing, only the
> mouse cursor moves. The system does not really crash. The freeze is
> never associated with doing any particular thing, AFAICT.
>
> I can go run vncviewer from another box and it comes up and works fine.
> After "killall -9 X" I can then login again and it goes again. I have
> seen this with KDE and GNOME (but I typically just run KDE).

Sorry, is that the default "nv" driver that comes with Fedora, or the
closed-source one that Nvidia provides?

Were you using the equivalent driver in RH 7.2 and Debian? The same
card?

Any chance you can try the vesa driver?

James.
--
E-mail address: james | "Face" on Mars proves to be optical illusion --
@westexe.demon.co.uk  | NASA now investigating "vase" on Mars.