Applying kernel patches

Alexander Dalloz alexander.dalloz at uni-bielefeld.de
Tue Sep 7 15:13:38 UTC 2004

Am Di, den 07.09.2004 schrieb Steve Blackwell um 4:58:

> Hmmm. I found this link:
>
> http://rpmfind.rediris.es/rpm2html/fc2-i386-updates/kernel-doc-2.6.8-1.521.noarch.html
>
> that says that the voluntary preemption patch has already been added
> but the instructions to enable voluntary preemption from
> http://wiki.philkern.de/5.html

Yes, it has. If you grep the kernel.spec for "preempt" you'll find the
proof.

* Mon Jul 12 2004 Arjan van de Ven <arjanv at redhat.com>
- updated voluntary preempt
- 2.6.8-rc1

$ grep -n PREEMP /boot/config-2.6.8-1.521smp
109:# CONFIG_PREEMPT is not set
110:CONFIG_PREEMPT_VOLUNTARY=y

You will have to go through kernel config, but from a quick grep through the patch and checking Kconfig
entries it seems that the Fedora kernel has not all components of the voluntary preempt patch set active.
So no vanilla kernel source is necessary, but to compile the kernel your own based on the Fedora source.

> echo 3 > /proc/sys/kernel/voluntary-preemption
>
> fail because the file doesn't exist. So I'm not sure whether it has or
> hasn't or perhaps there a step missing.

Other than you paper says "CONFIG_SECURITY_CAPABILITIES must be compiled
as a module", this part is compiled fix into the Fedora kernel. This is
not preemption itself but necessary to enable users to use the realtime
scheduler.

$ grep -n SECURITY_CAPABILITIES /boot/config-2.6.8-1.521smp
2441:CONFIG_SECURITY_CAPABILITIES=y

> Steve.

Alexander

Fedora GNU/Linux Core 2 (Tettnang) kernel 2.6.8-1.521smp
Serendipity 16:57:26 up 8 days, 14:14, load average: 0.08, 0.21, 0.20