FC1 Printer sharing only works with Win98

M.Hockings veeshooter at hockings.net
Tue Sep 7 15:55:28 UTC 2004

c_r_ at fedora wrote:

> I don't see where you need Samba. - perhaps I missed something?
>
> But here is a similar issue, but on FC2(?)
> http://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-list/2004-August/msg03791.html
> which worked for me as well. The deal for me was to edit cups.conf. See
> section "Modify cups configuration" at
> http://www.owlfish.com/thoughts/winipp-cups-2003-07-20.html
>
> hth
> chris

True, but Samba (SMB) is the easiest for Win98 (and it does work for
Win98) so why not run all the machines the same way?  The other machines
FC1, FC2, WinXP, Win2K could just as easily use LPR but I have not been
successful in getting things to print that way either.  In FC2 I even
entered a valid uid/pwd in the printer def but that did not seem to help.

At one point early on I did try playing with the CUPS config as
indicated above, it didn't seem to make any difference.  Plus I was wary
of tinkering too much with things I don't fully understand.

Personally I don't see why this is so difficult, I would be inclined to
say that it is broken - from a usability point of view certainly.

Mike