FC1 not responding

John Thompson JohnThompson at new.rr.com
Tue Sep 7 18:43:34 UTC 2004

Jeffrey Mutonho wrote:

> I've got a machine running FC1 and sometimes it just stops responding
> to the any key strokes on the keyboard.I noticed that the keyboard
> LEDs keep flashing when this happens.The mouse pointer responds to any
> movement I make with the mouse , but not to clicks.I have  to reboot
> the machine to get to work again.

That's an indication that the kernel has paniced.  Eg, from
/usr/src/linux/drivers/char/pc_keyb.c:

/* Tell the user who may be running in X and not see the console that
we have panic'ed. This is to distingush panics from "real" lockups.
Could in theory send the panic message as morse, but that is left as an
exercise for the reader.  */

--

-John (john at os2.dhs.org)