Adding users with first.last name

Chris metrion at gmail.com
Tue Sep 7 20:26:04 UTC 2004

I did try LDAP, but couldn't get some things figured out and ran out
of time, so I opted to not use it...yet.
It's a webmail server, all services are on this machine. Think I'll
just make em with an underscore and alias them if the users whine.

Thanks again!

On Tue, 07 Sep 2004 14:13:30 -0600, Aly Dharshi <aly.dharshi at telus.net> wrote:
> I don't know what sort of application you are planning to use, maybe this is a
> single machine with /etc/passwd sort of application but LDAP is another way to
> go, it will take usernames directly with first.last name.
>
> Cheers,
>
>         Aly.
>
> Paul Howarth wrote:
> > On Tue, 2004-09-07 at 18:33, Chris wrote:
> >
> >>Is it possible to add users to the system using a first.last name
> >>form? I get an error when attempting it: ' useradd: invalid user name
> >>'john.doe'. I have to add about 800 names to a mail server and
> >>shortened versions would have duplicates, I have an older RH 8.0
> >>server that I've been able to add users with this user name form, but
> >>I couldn't see any difference with any config that would allow it.
> >

> > Why not use aliases?
> >
> > e.g. in /etc/aliases
> >
> > john.doe:     jdoe
> >
> > Paul.
>
> --
> Aly Dharshi
> aly.dharshi at telus.net
>
>          "A good speech is like a good dress
>           that's short enough to be interesting
>           and long enough to cover the subject"

Conan says, "Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because
they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a
general thing."