CD-ROM proplem

Bill Tetens zuki269 at netscape.net
Wed Sep 8 01:44:54 UTC 2004

clint at penguinsolutions.org wrote:
> Bill Tetens wrote:
>
>> I have a DVD ROm in my box but totme has a problem and will not work.
>> The DVD is a Sony but will have to take it out to get the model number.
>>
>> When I use the hardware browser it shows the DVD as follows:
>> Manufacture  DVD-ROM
>> Driver none or builtin
>> Device  /dev/hdb
>>
>> When I use the terminal command df -h I get the following:
>>
>> /dev/hda2
>> /dev/hda1
>> none 506M  0  506M 05.dev/shm
>>
>> Where I was reading showed a entry line of /dev/cdrom which does not
>> appear on mine
>>
>> My question is if my DVD Rom is mounted or even where the box
>> recognizes it.  I thought that maybe this would be my problem with
>> totem not working but do not yet have enough info to tell.
>>
>> Thanks
>

> There are additional files that Totem needs to play back commercial DVDs.
>
> If you have your /etc/yum.conf configured similar to that found at
> fedorafaq.org, you can install them with the following command:
>
> # yum install libdvd* libmad*
>
> Next I recommend your starting totem from the command line to view its
> output. Even after installing the required decryption files, totem will
> take a fairly long time to carry out the decryption. Thus starting totem
> from the command line will tell you some idea of its progress. Then you
> can kick back with a refreshing beverage of your choice with your
> favorite movie.
>
> Hope this helps,
> Clint

I have the libdvd* and libmad* installed and when I try to start from
command line I get one quick flash and then an error message appears.

Totem could not startup
Could not link video output thread (CS and balance)

Some one else told me to try a cat /etc/fstab with a DVD in the player
and I got  among may lines the following

/dev/cdrom  /mnt/cdrom so I assume it is mounted and something else is
wrong with totem.