DNS, DHCP Settings on FC1

Ow Mun Heng Ow.Mun.Heng at wdc.com
Wed Sep 8 03:25:03 UTC 2004

On Wed, 2004-09-08 at 00:44, Alexander Dalloz wrote:
> Am Di, den 07.09.2004 schrieb usmany at excite.com um 16:45:
>
> > I configured my DNS and DHCP servers using boths means of config... I want to know if that will be a
> > problem or not and which will be more active and right syntax of configuring boths servers?

> Either you invest a fair amount of time and brain on understanding how a
> DNS and DHCP server works and how it is to be configured or you try your
> luck with just using "clickable" tools. I personally feel that running
> such elementary servers - elementary for each network - you will have to
> at least mostly understand how they work and interact. Using GUI tools
> will not provide you such information.

Actually, IIRC, one friend actually noted that webmin ruined his ever so
much commented smb.conf file and pluverises it to an oblivion.

So.. In essence, the reason for CLI tools to configure stuffs like this
is

1. Don't have to have additional services running
2. You can put in your own comments.
3. Preference and it works on slow-dial-up

--
Ow Mun Heng
Fedora GNU/Linux Core 2 on D600 1.4Ghz CPU kernel