Shortcuts location

Nifty Hat Mitch mitch48 at sbcglobal.net
Wed Sep 8 04:37:56 UTC 2004

On Sat, Sep 04, 2004 at 03:02:35PM -0700, Tom Taylor wrote:

> Problem:
>
> I want to find out where the shortcuts (for starting programs) are stored.

This might be a generic answer....
To find out what tool touches what.

Try this:

    touch /tmp/now

Create your shortcut or use XYZ GUI to do something.  Now
look for the files that have been modified in the users
home dir or perhaps the full system.

    find $HOME -xdev -newer /tmp/now
 or
    find / -xdev -newer /tmp/now

Inspect the file or files  found with a tool like "less".

I expect you will find some XML text in a file with a name
something like this.
    $HOME/.nautilus/metafiles/file:%2F%2F%2Fhome%2Fbob%2FDesktop.xml

Since it was unclear what desktop/ window manager you are running
it is unclear what the exact path would be.

--
	T o m  M i t c h e l l
	Just say no to 74LS73 in 2004