syntax problem with cron

Mike Burger mburger at bubbanfriends.org
Wed Sep 8 15:27:11 UTC 2004

On Wed, 8 Sep 2004, Alexander Dalloz wrote:

> Am Mi, den 08.09.2004 schrieb dballester at kernpharma.com um 14:53:
>
> > put all in one shell script an call this shell
>
> > David Ballester Montolio
>
> man 5 crontab:
>
>        SHELL variable of the cronfile.   Percent-signs  (%)  in  the
> command,
>        unless escaped with backslash (\), will be changed into newline
> charac-
>        ters, and all data after the first % will be sent  to  the
> command  as
>        standard input.
>
> Why not reading the docs and doing what its saying? I prefer going the
> straight way than going such "workarounds".

What workaround?  The "straight way", as you put it, would be to do it ina
script, so that, if you just want to modify what the cron job does, and
now when it does it, you just edit the script.  Putting multiple commands
in a crontab entry often just winds up with an unreadable crontab entry.

--
Mike Burger
http://www.bubbanfriends.org

Visit the Dog Pound II BBS

To be notified of updates to the web site, visit