Yum problems

Christian Cryder christianc at granitepeaks.com
Thu Sep 9 01:10:34 UTC 2004

I'm not entirely sure whether this is a fedora problem or a yum problem,
so apologies in advance if this is not the write place for this...

I just did "yum update yum" and got 2.1.3. Now, however, when I run any
yum command (eg. yum info yum) I get the following error:

   Setting up Repo:  base
   repodata/repomd.xml: [Errno 4] IOError: HTTP Error 404: Not Found
   Cannot open/read repomd.xml file for repository: base
   failure: repodata/repomd.xml from base: [Errno 256] No more mirrors to
   try.

What is this repomd.xml thing? Is it something local to my system? Or
remote on the repository servers?

I'm not sure what to try next here. I'm using the stock yum.conf. Is
there some other file I need to configure somewhere?

I've tried searching the web for more info on this and I'm unfortunately
drawing a blank.

Suggestions?

tia,
Christian