Yum problems

Alexander Dalloz alexander.dalloz at uni-bielefeld.de
Thu Sep 9 01:43:25 UTC 2004

Am Do, den 09.09.2004 schrieb Christian Cryder um 3:10:

> I'm not entirely sure whether this is a fedora problem or a yum problem,
> so apologies in advance if this is not the write place for this...
>
> I just did "yum update yum" and got 2.1.3. Now, however, when I run any
> yum command (eg. yum info yum) I get the following error:

.oO You did update to the new, not officially released version of yum.
If you run rawhide then please check the developer or tester mailing
list.

>    Setting up Repo:  base
>    repodata/repomd.xml: [Errno 4] IOError: HTTP Error 404: Not Found
>    Cannot open/read repomd.xml file for repository: base
>    failure: repodata/repomd.xml from base: [Errno 256] No more mirrors to
>    try.
>
> What is this repomd.xml thing? Is it something local to my system? Or
> remote on the repository servers?

The current yum and the new are not compatible. The new one uses
metadata stored in xml files. This is not supported by current mirror
servers - just as this yum repository format is not official.

> I'm not sure what to try next here. I'm using the stock yum.conf. Is
> there some other file I need to configure somewhere?

Revert back to the stable yum, this is 2.0.7 for FC2.

> Christian

Alexander

Fedora GNU/Linux Core 2 (Tettnang) kernel 2.6.8-1.521smp
Serendipity 03:40:00 up 10 days, 56 users, load average: 0.31, 0.29,
0.36