AGPGART compile error

Jim Cornette fc-cornette at sbcglobal.net
Thu Sep 9 02:57:19 UTC 2004

Jeffrey Mutonho wrote:
> I'm trying to install the driver for the intel i845 graphics
> controller on a RH8 machine and getting an error message that says:
>
> Error:AGPGART module did not compile
> cp : cannot stat 'agpgart/agpgart.o'
> [drm:gdg_prob]*ERROR* Cannot initialize the agpgart module
>

> jeff mutonho

What type of computer do you have? I have one that uses the i810 driver
and would not do better than 640 x 480 before upgrading the BIOS.

Check for an upgraded BIOS. for the Dell, it was A04 BIOS.

For information regarding the i810 driver, you could type the below and
see if this reveals any helpful information.

Regarding the i810 driver and its performance with the 845 graphics
controller, X crashed randomly before the latest CVS version was
released into rawhide. I ran it for a few days cycling through the
screensavers and it ran successfully. In fact, the xscreensaver daemon
crashed once, but X kept on going.

Related to RHL8 and it not being supported. There is a project called
fedoralegacy which I believe is still supporting the older RHL releases.
I think that there is a seperate mailing list to discuss concerns and
problems relating to the non-supported earlier releases.

I hope this leads you to a resolution to the AGPGART error that you are
having.

As a note: Newer releases for FC work decent. I am running test releases
and FC2 now. FC1 reaches the unsupported arena shortly. You might want
to think about starting with the FC2 release.
Also, I did an upgrade from RHL8 recently and it left all the
redhat-config-whatever packages installed and left XFree86 installed and
ingnored xorg-x11. The key packages are the XFree86 to xorg-x11 move and
the redhat-config-* packages changed to system-config-*.
redhat-config-xfree86 is now system-config-display. You might read the
archives related to trials from RHL8 to RHL9 ... next release contained
in the archives. Either that or try a clean installation after backing
up your home directory and important files related to special
configuration of devices.

Jim