Screaming Interrupt

Nifty Hat Mitch mitch48 at sbcglobal.net
Thu Sep 9 11:18:57 UTC 2004

On Sun, Sep 05, 2004 at 11:40:08AM -0500, Price wrote:

> Got a problem with screaming interrupt error.
> I have a Asus A7N8X with a sata add in card.
> I can only boot with kernel 2.6.6-1.435.2.3 or below.
> Here is the error I get
> irq 11: nobody cared! (screaming interrupt)
> irq 11: Please try booting with acpi=off and report a bug.
> I have tried acpi=off acpi=noirq and nolacpi nothing worked.

Try turning acpi off in the BIOS.
You can also scan the various BIOS config
pages to see that hardware is registered
at irq 11.

As I understand it the BIOS can set up some advanced power
controls that will also manage interrupts and a long list
of hardware functions.

If both the acpi code in the BIOS and the kernel do not sync
up fully an interrupt could be unmapped.   An unmapped
interrupt (no interrupt handler) is the no body cared
part of the error.

Caution there are two power management functions an old and a new
nifty but buggy one.  Both are A-something and I get them confused to
the point that I write them down after checking my BIOS and then make
reference to that when playing in Linux land.

Read more about the new nifty stuff:
   http://www.intel.com/technology/iapc/acpi/
   http://www.intel.com/technology/iapc/acpi/downloads.htm

Use only one of the two power control functions.

--
	T o m  M i t c h e l l
	Just say no to 74LS73 in 2004