Installation issues

Ken Wolman kwolman at sarnoff.com
Thu Sep 9 19:29:08 UTC 2004

I don't know if it was this list, but these issues drew a reply of
"RYFM" and "Check the archives."  As far as I can determine, there isn't
A manual, and I have no idea where in the archives to look, so I'm
thrown back to asking basic installation questions.

I have a somewhat oldish system, a Dell Dimension with a 10GB hard drive
installed, and no internal expansion capabilities.  I added a 40GB USB
drive.  The main disk is broken into unequal partitions.  E: is for data
only, C: has the OS (Win2K) and essential software.  To start Fedora, I
partitioned the C: drive for about 200MB dedicated to /boot, just as I
had done with earlier flavors of Redhat up to 8.0.  The USB drive I set
up through Partition Magic as "unformatted."  Upon booting Fedora from
the CD, the USB drive was not recognized.

I picked up that I have to mount the drive.  But how can I mount a drive
when there's no system from which to mount it?  I KNOW this is an idiot
question, but there is nothing I can find in the online documentation
that tells me anything even close to the situation in which I find myself.

Any help will of course be appreciated.

KW
--
Kenneth Wolman