Yum problems

Christian Cryder christianc at granitepeaks.com
Thu Sep 9 18:41:55 UTC 2004

Alexander Dalloz wrote:

> Am Do, den 09.09.2004 schrieb Christian Cryder um 4:22:
>

>>>Revert back to the stable yum, this is 2.0.7 for FC2.
>>
>>Ok (and now I've got to expose my ignorance here)...can you tell me how
>>to do this? Does yum provide some mechanism to rollback? Or do I just
>>say "yum update yum-2.0.7" (or something like that).
>

>>Christian
>

> First you'll have to ask yourself how that update could occur. If you
> only used yum to install packages and to update, then your yum.conf is
> wrong and probably you have more updated wrongly than just yum. Have a
> close look at your /etc/yum.conf file.

Yep, you're correct. I realized that I had inadvertantly uncommented the
  [development] section. Then I did 'yum update' (which failed with a
conflict), then I did 'yum update yum' to install 2.1.3 (based on the
advice of Seth Vidal...not his fault; he probably assumed I knew what I
was doing).

At any rate, I'm back to yum-2.0.7-1.1.noarch.rpm, and yum update now
completes correctly. So I think things seem alright.

That said...I am concerned that maybe something got installed via that
first 'yum update' that shouldn't have. How would I tell? Does yum have
transactional support so that if it hits an error during update nothing
is applied? (if that's the case then I'm probably ok)

Thanks for you help here...

Christian

Christian Cryder
Internet Architect, ATMReports.com