Installation issues

Jeff Vian jvian10 at charter.net
Fri Sep 10 00:57:28 UTC 2004

On Thu, 2004-09-09 at 14:29, Ken Wolman wrote:
> I don't know if it was this list, but these issues drew a reply of
> "RYFM" and "Check the archives."  As far as I can determine, there isn't
> A manual, and I have no idea where in the archives to look, so I'm
> thrown back to asking basic installation questions.
>
> I have a somewhat oldish system, a Dell Dimension with a 10GB hard drive
> installed, and no internal expansion capabilities.  I added a 40GB USB
> drive.  The main disk is broken into unequal partitions.  E: is for data
> only, C: has the OS (Win2K) and essential software.  To start Fedora, I
> partitioned the C: drive for about 200MB dedicated to /boot, just as I
> had done with earlier flavors of Redhat up to 8.0.  The USB drive I set
> up through Partition Magic as "unformatted."  Upon booting Fedora from
> the CD, the USB drive was not recognized.
>
> I picked up that I have to mount the drive.  But how can I mount a drive
> when there's no system from which to mount it?  I KNOW this is an idiot
> question, but there is nothing I can find in the online documentation
> that tells me anything even close to the situation in which I find myself.
>
> Any help will of course be appreciated.

Not an idiot question.  The upshot is the USB drivers have to be loaded
before the USB device can be accessed. And it will have to be
partitioned then before the install can continue.

I am sorry I don't know how to do that as I have never needed to do so,
but maybe someone else can provide the details.