system-config-services crashes

Steven P. Ulrick ulrick2 at faith4miracle.org
Fri Sep 10 07:30:10 UTC 2004

Hello, Everyone :)
When I attempt to run "system-config-services", it crashes with the
following error:
[root at ulrick2 root]# system-config-services
/etc/init.d/0 [Errno 2] No such file or directory: '/etc/init.d/0'
/etc/init.d/IIim error reading from directory /etc/init.d [Errno 2] No
such file or directory: '/etc/init.d/IIim error reading from directory
/etc/init.d'
/etc/xinetd.d/IIim error reading from directory /etc/init.d [Errno 2] No
such file or directory: '/etc/xinetd.d/IIim error reading from directory
/etc/init.d'

On a lark, I did "rpm -Uvh --force" on all of the iiimf RPM's.  The
result led me to believe I was on to something:
[root at ulrick2 FC2]# system-config-services
/etc/init.d/l [Errno 2] No such file or directory: '/etc/init.d/l'
/etc/init.d/postgresqerror reading from directory /etc/init.d [Errno 2]
No such file or directory: '/etc/init.d/postgresqerror reading from
directory /etc/init.d'
/etc/xinetd.d/postgresqerror reading from directory /etc/init.d [Errno
2] No such file or directory: '/etc/xinetd.d/postgresqerror reading from
directory /etc/init.d'

You will notice that the error is now different.  So I force-reinstalled
the postgresql RPM's, but the error remains the same.

I think it important to mention that the GUI does start, but it crashes
before it finishes drawing:
http://www.faith4miracle.org/system-config-services.jpg
This is what the GUI looks like immediately before it crashes.

If there is anything that you need to know to help you answer this
question, please let me know.

Operating system: Fedora Core 2, full installation (not upgraded).  All
official released and testing updates installed, including the latest
test kernel (2.6.8-1.549)
I am running KDE from CVS HEAD and QT from TrollTech's latest stable
source tarball.  I did not overwrite the binaries on KDE and QT, I
exported the correct paths in my ~/.bashrc.

Have a Great Day :)
Steven P. Ulrick