usb wifi dongle

PFJ paul at all-the-johnsons.co.uk
Fri Sep 10 07:59:15 UTC 2004

Hi,

> > If you are running Fedora Core 2, you will need to build from source.
> > You can get the latest source from
> > ftp://ftp.linux-wlan.org/pub/linux-wlan-ng/.  I would recommend going
> > with linux-wlan-ng-0.2.1-pre20 in order to get relatively reliable
> > support for the 2.6 kernel.

Pre21 is working fine from here.

> > Once you've downloaded the source, if you follow the instructions in the
> > howto at http://www.siliconvalleyccie.com/linux-hn/wmp11-linux.htm you
> > should be good to go.

I found the instructions inside of the linux-wlan-ng package far more
useful. I'd also recommend getting hold of a copy of airsnort from
sourceforge.

> > There is one caveat however.  When you run 'make config' when building
> > linux-wlan-ng, it tests to ensure that you have the linux kernel source
> > (and not just the headers) installed.  It does this by checking for
> > version.h in the linux source directory that was specified earlier in
> > the configuration process (it defaults to /usr/src/linux).

Actually, there are a couple more than that.

To get around the one above, when it asks for the directory, type

/lib/modules/<kernel-version>/build

The second is that you will need to mkdir a directory for the build
process. When the compile fails, you will see where the directory being
looked for should be (from memory /lib/modules/<kernel-version>/build/.
tmp_make - it's certainly something like that)

The third is only to compile the module you need. If you're using a USB
dongle, only bother with the usb module - you don't need the rest.

The fourth is to not bother with using neat, ifup or any other type of
config - they won't work as expected (they were telling me all sorts of
garbage yesterday). You should only start or restart the dongle using /
etc/init.d/wlan start|stop|restart and then connect by hand

(okay this last way may be down to my system using rawhide)

Other than that, it's fine with the MA111 Prism2 dongle.

> Thank you for your answer i hope this will help me when i will have my
> dongle. I'm not sure to well understand how to enable module versioning
> ? In the kernel ? i have to rebuild a kenel ?

No. You don't need to rebuild the kernel. Install the kernel-sourcecode
from yum and you'll be fine.

TTFN

Paul
--
"If I face my God tomorrow, I can tell Him I am innocent.
I've never harmed anyone. I have cheated no one.