Temp files

Nifty Hat Mitch mitch48 at sbcglobal.net
Fri Sep 10 09:44:26 UTC 2004

On Thu, Sep 09, 2004 at 09:26:32AM -0700, John Arkoulis wrote:
> Hi all. A quick question here. When I surf the net where my temp files
> go and how can I clean that folder?

Well all we know at this second is that you posted your message with
"Ximian Evolution 1.4.5 (1.4.5-7)" and some of us might assume that
Ximian users will commonly use Mozilla as a browser.

Since Linux users use one or more of five or six common but different
browsers you need to be specific which browser you are using.  Commonly
clicking on help in the upper right will get you that info.

With Mozilla you commonly go to the top left and:

     Edit --> Preferences --> Advanced --> Cache

and then there is a "Clear Cache" button as well as the path to the
cache folder and size of cache control.

The Netscape 7.2 browser is a brother of Mozilla
and the control is the same.  The dir will be different.

     Edit --> Preferences --> Advanced --> Cache

Konqueror is:

     Configure --> settings --> cache

Nautilus, Galeon, Phoenix, Firebird, Opera, w3m, lynx, BrowseX, emacs,
xemacs, and more....

Most have a simple control to manage cache.  I have
seen funny things.... so in such cases I use this hint.

Hint:

If you cannot discover where an application is leaving
stuff you might try taking advantage of system time stamps
on files and use find.

 In a shell window

   # touch /tmp/now

 Next start up the browser/tool  in question and check some pages.
 Quit that application.

 Now lets find things that are new.
 Again in a shell window.

   # find ~ -type f -newer /tmp/now -print

 Aha....not all files are guaranteed to be in your home dir.

   # find / -type f -newer /tmp/now -print > /tmp/list-of-files

 Ignore the errors about files you do not have permission for
 because we are looking for files you created (cached).
 Now look at it.

   # less /tmp/list-of-files

If all the "new" files are in the expected places and make sense then
you done.   Linux has lots of stuff going on so expect other files...

--
	T o m  M i t c h e l l
	Just say no to 74LS73 in 2004