kernel panic: Unable to boot after changing scsi controller & switched to other hardware

Timothy Murphy tim at birdsnest.maths.tcd.ie
Fri Sep 10 11:11:42 UTC 2004

Schlueri wrote:

> On the new machine the system boots, the kernel find the adaptec
> controller and the 2 Harddisks. Then i get a kernel panic and message:
>
> isofs_read_super: bread failed, dev=09:01, iso_blknum16, block 32
>
> If i boot the new machine with the fc1 cd in rescue mode, anaconda loads
> aic7xxx and mounts my raid without problems.

You could re-compile the kernel under FC-1 with aic7xxx in the kernel
rather than a module.
(I'm assuming FC-1 and FC-2 look for /boot in the same place.
If not, copy or move the new kernel, initrd and System.map
to the appropriate place.)

Nb Are you sure you have the correct entries in /etc/grub.conf
and /etc/fstab ?
I'd replace any LABEL= by the actual device /dev/hda5 or whatever.

--
Timothy Murphy
tel: +353-86-2336090, +353-1-2842366