up2date inefficiency.

Scott Talbot talbotscott at cox.net
Fri Sep 10 12:10:21 UTC 2004

On Thu, 2004-09-09 at 21:22 -0400, Sam Varshavchik wrote:
> The most recent kdelibs update highlights an annoying up2date wart.  I've
> seen this happen before.
>
> It looks like one of the updated packages has a new dependency on
> lm_sensors.  Because the new dependency is not satisfied by any of the
> pulled packages from the update directory, up2date then goes off and
> downloads the headers from every package in the base FC 2 channel.
>
> All 800+ of them, one at a time.  Looking for a package from base that
> satisfies the unresolved dependency.
>
> This whole process, of hitting download.redhat.com, or one of its mirrors,
> took quite a bit of time.  Furthermore, it looks like up2date went in
> alphabetical order, but it didn't even bother stopping after it read the
> headers for the lm_sensors RPM (which eventually satisfied the dependency).
> I watched, with some amusement, as it continued to chew through the rest of
> the core RPMs, all the way until zsh-html.

	AFAIK up2date needs to have all of the headers, and I have never seen
more than an update to the headers whenever I use the program (nearly
everyday as I am using Test1).  Yum is the same, the first time used it
downloads all unique headers.  Apt is probably the same, but I don't use
it as there are few repos.

Up2date is still being tweaked, and personally, I like it better than
YUM, although it's pretty close.

Scott