selinux version

Stephen Smalley sds at epoch.ncsc.mil
Fri Sep 10 13:39:23 UTC 2004

On Fri, 2004-09-10 at 09:19, Michael Dykman wrote:
> I have 2 Fedora Core 2 installations: one is a clean install and the
> second is an upgrade from a RedHat 9.  While I keep both of them
> up2date, I have noticed that during up2date sessions, the updated box
> shows a warning message '/etc/security/selinux/file_contexts: No such
> file or directory'

Unless you explicitly enabled SELinux at install time, it shouldn't be
active.  If you want to enable SELinux, see the FAQ at
http://people.redhat.com/kwade/fedora-docs/fc2/selinux-faq-en/index.html.
You have to install the policy package in that case, along with several
other steps for enabling SELinux post-install.  If you don't want to use
SELinux, I think you can just touch that file to suppress the warnings
from up2date/rpm.

> Investigation reveals that the file is, indeed not there.  A further
> check shows me that the same box has libselinux version 1.11.4-1 while
> the cleanly installed one has 1.15.1-1.  The update monitor on both
> boxes show that they are up2date with no ignored packages.
>
> Can anyone give me idea what gives here?

libselinux 1.11 was the version included in FC2, and I don't think that
there have been any updates to libselinux for FC2.  FC3/test1 included
libselinux 1.14, and 1.15 subsequently appeared in FC3/devel, but the
latest in FC3/devel is 1.17.  I don't know where you are getting 1.15
from.  What is in your /etc/sysconfig/rhn/sources file?

--
Stephen Smalley <sds at epoch.ncsc.mil>
National Security Agency