Office IMAP server

Alexander Dalloz alexander.dalloz at uni-bielefeld.de
Fri Sep 10 13:53:15 UTC 2004

Am Fr, den 10.09.2004 schrieb David Smith um 15:14:

> I have not had much dealings with setting up email servers, and I need
> some suggestions. An office I work with, needs a local IMAP server that
> would keep up with there email, but first I have to download the email
> from our host. Does anyone have any suggestions for the best way of
> doing this? I thought about using procmail to download the email, and

procmail is an MDA (Mail Delivery Agent) but no application to fetch
mail from an IMAP/POP3 server. You want fetchmail for that task.

> using dovecot as the IMAP server. However, I am really not sure from the

Yes, dovecot is the choice for an unexperienced user.

> config file where I need the email to download to. Any suggestions would
> be great. Also if you know of a IMAP server that will actually cut out

Run Sendmail or Postfix locally and let fetchmail pass the fetched mail
to this MTA. It will then process the mail and either deliver it by
using procmail or deliver it his own to local mail boxes, so you can
then use dovecot to access the mail by using a mail client.

> the first step and download the email to the server would make it a bit
> easier. Oh and any links would be great. Goggling gives a lot of info to

It is not the task of any IMAP/POP3 server to fetch mail from another
IMAP/POP3 server.

> go through. More info then time to go through it.

Setting up a mail server is not really a trivial job. As for an office
mail server you may want to hire someone with enough experience with it.
If you want to do it yourself you should read the documentation about

- fetchmail
- Sendmail / Postfix
- procmail
- dovecot

Use google to find their websites and other howtos.

> David

Alexander

Fedora GNU/Linux Core 2 (Tettnang) kernel 2.6.8-1.521smp
Serendipity 15:46:15 up 11 days, 13:02, load average: 2.31, 1.96, 1.37